|June 2005. A request for the English name of a fruit that in Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia, is callled doismango, which means German mango.
There were many replies!
English names include: Otaheite Apple, Jewish Plum, June Plum in Jamaica, Golden Apple in Guyana. In the Paciic they are: Polynesian plum and Golden apple.
Fiji – Wi; Hindi – Amra
Tonga – Vi or Hawaii – Wi
Samoa – Wi
Palau – Titiml
It was said to look like Spondias pinnata, the fruits of which are often eaten green by children. The ripe
fruits are used to make a wonderful drink in Palau. However, these fruits look a little large for S pinnata. There are other species of Spondias, such as S dulcis and S mombin, in Palau and elsewhere in the Pacific. The young leaves of S pinnata are used in cooking in Palau, especially in the famous fish soup known as beldakl.
Spondias cytherea Sonn. is a synonym of Spondias dulcis Sol. ex Parkinson, and full details are:
Taxon: Spondias dulcis Sol. ex Parkinson
Nomen number: 35331
Place of publication: J. voy. South Seas 39. 1773
Name verified on: 28-Oct-1996 by Systematic Botany Laboratory. Last updated:
Species priority site is: Natl. Germplasm Repository – Miami (MIA). 1
accessions (by country).
Synonym: Spondias cytherea Sonn.
* golden-apple (Source: World Econ Pl )
* Jew-plum (Source: Websters Dict )
* makopa (Source: Websters Dict as S cytherea)
* Otaheite-apple (Source: World Econ Pl )
* Polynesian-plum (Source: Zander ed16 as S cytherea)
* wi-tree (Source: Hortus 3 )
* yellow-plum (Source: F LAnt )
* casamangue (Source: Dict Rehm ) [French]
* pomme cythère (Source: F LAnt as S cytherea) [French]
* prune cythère (Source: F LAnt as S cytherea) [French]
* Goldpflaume (Source: Dict Rehm ) [German]
* ambarella (Source: CultTropS ) [Spanish]
* jobo de la India (Source: Crops US ) [Spanish]